The New Jersey Board of Dentistry requires, for every license renewal period, 40 hours of continuing education for licensed dentists in NJ. This 40 hours now also includes 10 mandatory hours for Dentists (Dental Hygienists and Registered Dental Assistants have 6 mandatory hours) in the following:
1. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), per American Heart Assoc. certification standards. Includes use of an automatic external defibrillator (AED), unconscious and conscious choking, and rescue breathing. … Training must be done in-person.
3 hours for Dentists / 3 hours for DH & RDA
2. Pharmacology and Internal Medicine, includes appropriate use of analgesics, antibiotics, local anesthesia, and agents to control anxiety, drug (medication) knowledge and interactions, prescription writing, abuse of prescriptions by patients, taking complete medical histories, and the use of the NJ Prescription Monitoring Program.
3 hours for Dentists
3. Preventing and Controlling Infectious Diseases and managing personnel health and safety concerns related to infection control in dental settings.
2 hours for Dentists / 1 hour for DH & RDA
4. Professional Ethics and NJ law concerning the practice of dentistry and managing personnel health and safety concerns related to infection control in dental settings.
1 hour for Dentists / 1 hour for DH & RDA
5. Educational programs or topics concerning Prescription Opioid Drugs, including responsible prescribing practices, alternatives to opioids for managing and treating pain, and the risks and signs of opioid abuse, addiction and diversion.
1 credit hour for Dentists / 1 hour for DH & RDA
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Please visit the NEW JERSEY BOARD OF DENTISTRY website for complete details.
New Jersey Administrative Code • Title 13 • Law and Public Safety • Chapter 30
Subchapter 5. Continuing Education 13:30-5.1